About Me

My photo
I´m a foodie who lives to eat. A Singaporean living in the heart of Jakarta. My food blog started because I could never remember my recipes back when we travelled back and forth from here and Singapore...and I´m terrible at keeping folders! So this was my savior. I still rely on this blog to cook so just know that the recipes here are all tried and tested!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Lontong with Sayur Lodeh



Again ... Every family has their version ... 
This is mine ... Most times I simply use the instant ketupat or lontong from Nona. Boil in the rice cooker (yes I'm lazy like that) with a teaspoon of salt and 1 bay leaf for about 90 minutes. 

Make sure the water is enough to cover your ketupat! My rice cooker can hold about 15 mini ketupat or 4 large lontong packets.

Cool the ketupats for at least 2 hours before serving or cook the night before. 


For the kuah lodeh, blend the following ingredient into a paste. Sauté in oil until fragrant.

2 large onions
2 cloves garlic
2 inch lengkuas
2cm fresh turmeric 
6 pieces of dried shrimp, soaked
10 Ikan bilis, soaked
2cm belachan
1/2 tsp coriander seeds 
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup water

2 chillis, sliced

1.5-2 litres of water
200ml of coconut cream (Kara)
1 bay leaf
2-3 tsp salt (to taste)
2 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp tamarind paste mixed with water

Once the sautéed ingredients are nice and "crispy", add water and sliced chilli. Let it simmer and add in your veggies, coconut cream, bay leaf, tamarind and season accordingly. Simmer until vegetables are tender but not soggy.

Note that the gravy will thicken once cool. 

The veggies may vary according to your preference. If you buy from the hawkers, it's usually just cabbage, tofu, carrots and long beans.

For me it's :
Carrots, sliced
Daikon, julienned
Tempe, fried tofu
French beans
Woodear mushrooms , soaked
Lily buds (kincam or sedap malam) soaked
 
Serve sliced lontong with gravy, topped with serunding (spicy shredded coconuts), bagedil, paru goreng, boiled eggs and Sambal.

Pin It